The word Udvartana (Udwarthanam) is composed of two words urdhawa which means upward and vartana means to move. Udvartana is a panchakarma procedure which involves elevated and upward strokes using powder made of herbs. The rubbing during this procedure goes in opposite direction as compared to the conventional massage.
Udvartana treatment involves the application of oils along with a mix of herbal powders which helps in toning and strengthening of the body. These powders are rough in nature and hot in potency and therefore create friction when massaged, opens up the pores, removes the blockages in vessels, increases the heat inside tissues and penetrates in to initiate fat burning metabolism.
Firstly the patient is asked to void his bowel and bladder and to be calm and concentrate on self. The Udvartana powder is taken and warmed in a vessel. The powder is then taken by the therapist in the palm and is applied over the body in seven different positions- sitting, lying on the back, left lateral, lying on the stomach, right lateral, lying on the back and sitting. During the massage, the pressure is applied from below upwards for a specific period of about 30 to 45 minutes. Pressure applied to the patient is according to his or her convenience.
Udvartana proves to be beneficial in the following ways:-
- It destroys morbid vata and kapha dosha
- Liquefies and mobilises the stagnant morbid fat
- Provides stability to the body
- Opens the blocked channels of the body and allows free circulation of nutrients and other essential substances in the body
- Removes drowsiness and brings freshness in the body
- Rejuvenates the skin by providing good shine and complexion
Udvartana is indicated in the following conditions:-
- Decreased joint movements of the body
- Muscular weakness
- High cholesterol and triglycerides
- Lack of freshness or sleeplessness
- Excessive drowsiness
- Vata and kapha related disorders