Bell’s palsy or Facial Palsy is a kind of paralysis which is caused by dysfunction of Cranial Nerve VII (Facial Nerve). Bell’s palsy has been named after the surgeon “SIR CHARLES BELLS”. It is the condition where nerve that controls the facial muscles becomes swollen. Bell’s palsy can attack the person at any age, although the condition is common between ages of 16 and 20.
Bell’s palsy can be temporary for the most of the people. Due to the weakness in the facial tissue, half of the face appears to droop. The smile is one-sided and there is a difficulty in closing the eye. It affects the taste bud, eye, saliva and a bone which is situated in the middle of the ear.
Symptoms of Bell’s Palsy
Bell’s palsy usually occurs after 1-2 weeks of eye infection, ear infection and viral infection.
Symptoms of Bell’s palsy include:-
- Swift weakness on one side of the face which can be observed within hours to days
- Difficult to make the various facial expression like closing the eye, lifting the eyebrow
- Pain around the jaws or behind the ear
- Reduction in the ability to taste
- The affected eye extracts tear
- Sensitivity to sound
- Irritation in the eye
- Facial weakness
- Unable to wrinkle forehead
- Pain in the ear
Causes of Bell’s Palsy
When the seventh cranial nerve starts becoming swollen, it results in Bell’s palsy. Most of the medical researchers believe that Bell’s palsy is triggered by a viral infection.
Some Causes are:-
- Cold sores
- •Genital Herpes
- Any damage to Immune System
- Chicken Pox and Shingles
- Organ Inflammation
- Lyme Disease (Bacterial Infection)
- Coxsackievirus (Hand-foot and Mouth disease)
- Respiratory Problem
- Acute Viral infection
However, most of the experts found that the Herpes Simplex 1, which is a kind of cold sore, is highly responsible for the occurrence of Bell’s palsy.
Risk Factors of Bell’s Palsy
The conditions which increase the risk of Bell’s Palsy are:-
- Upper respiratory infection (cold, flu)
- High Blood pressure
- Family History
- Auto-immune disorder
- Weak Immune system
Diagnosis of Bell’s Palsy
The physical examination and symptoms are the most important part in the diagnosis of Bell’s palsy. There is no need for adequate diagnosis. Generally, the doctors start observing the facial expression like the movement of facial muscles, lifting the eyebrow, smile.
Treatment for Bell’s Palsy
Bell’s palsy usually takes several weeks or month to regain the lost strength of facial nerves.
Treatment that helps in recovery:-
- Corticosteroids: It is used as an anti-inflammatory drug which reduces the puffiness of facial nerve. For best results, the patient needs to take it within few days of the occurrence of the Bell’s palsy.
- Anti-Viral Drug: If Bell’s palsy has been caused by a viral infection, antibacterial drugs are prescribed.
- Ibuprofen: It gives relief to the pain in the nerves
- Eye drops: Eye drops are recommended to the cornea and pupil moist.
- Surgery: The decompression surgery is implied to evacuate the pressure on the facial nerve. The surgery opens the passage through which the nerves pass.
- Physical Exercise: Massaging the affected part of face helps the muscles relax.
- Acupuncture: Thin like needles are placed into a specific point of the skin that helps stimulate nerve and muscles giving some relief.
Ayurvedic View on Bell’s Palsy
“Ardita” is the Ayurvedic name for Bell’s palsy. Meaning of Ardita is the condition caused by due to the unusual function of VATA. Due to which, the other half of the face turns in opposite direction.
Symptoms As Per Ayurveda
- Pain in the neck, cheeks and adjacent area
- Dryness in the eye
- Sleep Disturbance
- Pricking sensation (Sometimes)
Due to Vata imbalance, following effects can be seen:-
- Pain in the certain parts of the face
Effects due to Pitta imbalance:-
- Yellowish face
Effects due to Kapha Imbalance:-
- Stiffness in the face, neck and cheeks
- Tightness of muscles
It is the form of a tablet. This medicine consists of heavy metal components, therefore, should be taken under strict supervision.
Treatment of facial paralysis, cervical, neuro-muscular conditions.
Ekangveer Ras tablets should be taken thrice a day with Luke warm water.
It is a herbal product with mineral ingredients. It is used for treating Neuromuscular problems.
- Cures disease like paralysis, facial palsy and dizziness
- Strengthens nerves and muscles
- It is also beneficial for the treatment of Rheumatoid Arthritis and Osteo Arthritis.
Intake should be twice a day daily with plain water.
- Ashwgandha Avleh improves the physical strength, stamina and vitality. It balances Vata Dosha and increases Kapha Dosha.
- It is used as an antioxidant.
It should be taken twice a day either 45 minutes before the meal or 2 hours after the meal.
Herbs For Bell’s Palsy
- Garlic is good for normalizing Vata.
- It cleans the body channels and relieves the pain and inflammation.
- It also improves blood circulation.
- Relieves the nerve pain
- Improves nerve strength
3. Castor Oil
- It balances Vata
- Improves nerve strength
- Relieves inflammation
Take 3-4 drops of clove oil for strengthening of nerves.
- Beneficial for massage
- Fights against the blockage of the artery
Medicines for External Use
- Mix the paste of clove with mustard and apply for 20 minutes. It acts as an anti-inflammatory and gives relief to the pain
- Karpasathyadi Oil: This oil can be used for massage
- Warm water
- Luke Warm milk
- Meat Soup
After treatment, Ayurvedic measures can be used for:-
- Moderate recovery of facial muscles
- Strengthening of nerves
- Blood Circulation
- Prevention of recurrence
It is the imposition of herbal medicine through the nostrils. It is mostly used to treat diseases like Paralysis, Parkinson’s disease, complex headache, Bell’s palsy. It rejuvenates the brain cells and invades intelligence. It also acts as a memory booster. The sense organs become stronger and immunity boosts up.
- A headache and migraines
- Neuro-Muscular Condition
- Bell’s palsy
- It also prevents loose teeth and oral cavity.
- It cures stuttering or speech fault.
Why Are Ayurvedic Products Better?
Ayurveda is better because it not only maintains the rhythm between mind and soul but also between physical health and emotional strength. Ayurveda cures the man from body and mind. The products of Ayurveda are 100% natural extracted from herbs and the purest environment. Ayurveda has no side effects on the patients once the treatment is over. On contrary, modern medicines have “n” number of side effects after the completion of treatment and the side effects caused need to b treated further with other medicines.