Sarvanga means whole body and abhyanga means massage. Sarvanga Abhyanga is a process in which massage is done to the whole body with the help of medicated oils and ghrits as a preventive and curative therapy. Warm oils deeply penetrate into the cells and release physical, mental and spiritual toxins, hence sarvanga abhyanga works as detoxifying as well as healing cellular therapy.
Firstly the patient is asked to void his bowel and bladder. Patient is advised to be calm and concentrate on self. Prescribed oil is taken in a vessel and warmed indirectly in a hot water bath. The oil is then taken by the therapist in the palm is applied over the body in seven different positions- sitting, lying on the back, left lateral, lying on the stomach, right lateral, lying on the back, sitting. During the massage, synchronized circular movements are done over the joints, abdomen and chest and downward strokes are done over the hands and legs. Pressure applied to the patient should be according to the patient’s comfort. After the massage, the patient is given rest for about 5 minutes followed by steam bath.
Sarvanga Abhyanga is indicated in the following conditions:-
- Pain and stiffness in the muscles
- Frozen shoulder
- Swelling or oedema in the body
- Generalized weakness
- Rehabilitation after injury or surgery
- Decreased range of motion
Sarvanga Abhyanga proves to be beneficial in the following ways:-
- It relaxes the whole body
- Relieves tiredness and pain in the muscles
- Increases the blood circulation
- Fastens the recovery process
- Increases longetivity.
- It removes dirt from the skin hence improves the tone of the skin
- Promotes better sleep
- Relieves stress and anxiety
- Provides strength to the immune system
In the term Shashtika Shali Pinda Sweda (Navarakizhi), Shashtika Shali refers to medicated rice, pinda refers to bolus and sweda refers to the sudation performed using bolus of medicated rice.
Firstly kwatha or decoction of balamoola is prepared by boiling around 750 grams of it in 12 litres of water. After preparing the kwatha, Shashtik rice should be cooked in about 1.5 litres of balamoola kwatha and 1.5 litres of milk. The rice should be cooked till they become thick and semisolid. After the rice has been cooked, they should be put in a cotton cloth and a potali or bolus should be made of it.
After the potalis are prepared, the patient is asked to lie down on the massage table and gentle massage using warm potalis is done. The temperature of the potalis should be maintained during the procedure by dipping them heated milk kwatha mixture. The procedure lasts for about an hour or till the patient starts sweating.
Shashtika Shali Pinda Sweda is indicated in the following conditions:-
- Muscular pains
- Painful and stiffed joints
- Swelling in the joints
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Prolapse of intervertebral disc
Shashtika Shali Pinda Sweda proves to be beneficial in the following ways:-
- It helps in relieving pain, swelling and stiffness caused by the joint disorders like arthritis.
- It energizes and rejuvenates the body.
- It improves the strength of the tissues, bones and muscles.
- Prevents degeneration of the joint tissues and muscles.
- Induces sweating and brings about a feeling of lightness in the joints, soft tissues and muscles.
- Corrects the diseases associated with the vata and pitta dosha.
- Enhances flexibility and movements of the stiffed joints.
- Improves blood circulation in the body as well as improves the color and complexion of the skin.
Swedana is derived from Sanskrit word swid which means to perspire. It is also called as steam therapy. It is a pre-procedure for panchakarma therapies where the aim is to dilate the channels of the body to detach the toxins from the tissues. It is a process where sweat is induced with the help of steam generated from medicated herbal decoctions.
Firstly, oil is applied over the body. Herbs depending upon the condition of the person and predominance of the dosha are selected and are kept in a vessel for the generation of the steam. While giving steam, the head and eyes of the patient are covered using wet cotton pads in order to protect them from over heat. Treatment is continued till the abdomen and forehead sweat very well which is usually attained within 15-20 minutes. After the completion of the procedure and attainment of the required characteristics, the patient is advised to take shower with hot water. After an hour of the therapy the patient is given light, warm and unctuous food to eat.
- Purifies tissue and eliminates toxins from the body
- Helps in detoxifying the kidneys, liver and respiratory system
- Improves blood circulation
- Relieves stiffness
- Improves digestion
- Removes blockage of channels or srotas
- Reduces water retention
- Reduces excess weight gain
Swedana is indicated in the following conditions:-
- Low backache
- Sciatica pain
- Asthma or difficulty in breathing
- Chronic constipation
Patra pinda sweda is a specialized therapy which is used in the management of uncomplicated severe back pain. Patra means leaves of medicinal plants, pinda means a bolus and sweda means fomentation or sudation. The swedana karma or sudation therapy which is given by using a bolus which is prepared by the different combination of medicinal leaves which is processed with medicinal oil along with the medicinal herbs is called patra pinda sweda. This procedure is unique in a way that it involves both snehana and swedana.
The person is made to lie on the massage table or droni. Abhyanga is performed for a few minutes with medicated oil using bolus. The bolus is prepared by chopping the leaves of medicinal plants which have the property of relieving pain, inflammation and stiffness. These leaves are then fried in vatahara oils along with other medicaments like lemon pieces, garlic, turmeric etc. These are then tied in a piece of cloth to form a bolus. The bolus is then dipped in the warm medicated oil and is massaged over the body. The procedure lasts for about 45 min to one hour.
Patra pinda sweda is indicated in the following conditions:-
- Chronic back pain
- Lumbar spondylosis
- Cervical spondylosis
- Stiffness in the joints
- Swelling in the body and joints
- Muscular pains
- Sciatica pain
- Muscle cramps
Patra pinda sweda proves to be beneficial in the following ways:-
- Increases blood circulation
- Strengthens and rejuvenates bones, muscles, tissues and nerves
- Helps reduce pain, inflammation and stiffness of the muscles
- Induces good sleep