Asthma is a chronic lung disease characterized by a decreased ability to breathe easily. The flow of air in and out of the lungs is obstructed in the airways that carry air to the air sacs deep inside the lung. The bronchi and bronchioles which may be obstructed by tightening of muscles, irritation or selling in the airways and accumulation of mucous thereby resulting in asthma. Asthma can either be acute or chronic.
Following factors are responsible for aggravating Asthma:
- Breathing polluted air
- Exposure to tobacco or wood smoke
- Inhaling other respiratory irritants such as perfumes or cleaning products
- Exposure to cold or dry weather
- Emotional excitement or stress
- Physical exertion
- An upper respiratory infection, such as a cold, flu, sinusitis or bronchitis
- Reflux of stomach acid
- Breathing in allergy causing substances such as molds, dust or animal dander
Common Causes of Asthma are:
- Allergy to pollen, dust mites
- Air pollution
- Respiratory infections
- Non specific hyperirritability
- Certain medications
Common Symptoms of Asthma are:
- Coughing, mainly at night
- Shortness of breath
- Chest tightness
- Chest pain
AYURVEDIC TREATMENT FOR ASTHMA
Ayurvedic view and Treatment According to Chandigarh Ayurved Centre
In ayurveda, asthma is known as swasa roga. The vitiated vata dosha combines with vitiated kapha dosha in the lungs and causes the obstruction in the respiratory passage or pranvaha srotasa. This results in gasping and labored breathing. Five types f shwasa roga are described in ayurvedic texts:
- Maha Shwasa
- Urdhava Shwasa
- Chinna Shwasa
- Tamak Shwasa
- Kshudra Shwasa
The first three types are not curable. Tamak shwasa is yapya or controllable but difficult to cure. The last one is curable.
Ayurveda believes that the cause of asthma is in the stomach. Toxins carried by improperly digested food are carried through channels directly into the chest and lung area. The resulting toxin accumulation imbalances the lungs and airway tissues through several mechanisms. The toxins irritate the linings of airways and often trigger an inflammatory response to foreign bodies that also harm the epithelial lining of airways. This causes asthma.
Following Ayurvedic formulations are found to be effective in Asthma:
- Shwas Kuthar Rasa
- Sitopaladi Churna
- Talishadi Churna
- Laxmi Vilas Rasa
- Abhraka Bhasma
- Kapha Ketu Rasa
DIET AND LIFESTYLE
- Avoid cold and damp places
- Go for morning and evening walk
- Practice yoga and pranayama
- Avoid over eating
- Take light dinner one hour before going to bed
- Avoid tobacco, wine and smoking
- Keep rooms well ventilated.
- Avoid air conditioners, coolers and direct air of fan
- Avoid perfumes, incense sticks, mosquito repellants
- Drink boiled water in plenty
- Avoid excessive exercise and indulgence in sex
- Avoid fried and processed foods
- Avoid food such as rice, curds, buttermilk, sugar, lentils, heavy milk products like cheese, paneer etc which has natural tendency to accumulate the mucus
- Avoid fruits such as guava, papaya, watermelon and banana
- Take one-fourth shunthi churna powder, six black pepper, one fourth teaspoon black salt and five leaves of Tulsi. Boil this mixture in 200 ml water and reduce it to 50 ml. have this once a day.
- Take two tablespoons of fenugreek seeds. Mix in one litre of water. Simmer it for 30 minutes. Strain the liquid. Prepare two teaspoon of ginger paste and press the paste on a sieve and extract juice. Add ginger juice to the strained liquid. Add one teaspoon of honey. Mix well. Drink one glass of the mixture every morning.
- Take two teaspoon of Indian gooseberry powder. Mix one teaspoon of honey. Have this once every morning.
- Drink a glass of two-third carrot juice, one-third spinach juice, three times a day.
- Grind two grams of nagar and bharangi and mix them in water to prepare a paste. Take this with warm water twice a day.
- Take 10 cloves of garlic boiled with 30 ml of milk once a day.
- Mix one teaspoon honey with one teaspoon of Indian bay leaf powder and have it before going to bed at night. This helps in preventing the attack of asthma.
- Take a mixture of one tablespoon of water and two tablespoon of fresh lemon juice twice a day.
- Make paste of black resin, dates, long Pippali and honey in equal quantity. Take one teaspoonful of it morning and evening with warm milk.