Prishta means complete back region. Prishta Vasti is a procedure where medicated oil is retained over back region for a specific period of time. It is mainly indicated for the diseases related to whole spine.
The patient is made to lie on the massage table. The dough which is prepared by using wheat flour or black gram is placed over the whole vertebral column. Lukewarm medicated oil is poured into it and is made to stay for some time. When the oil gets cooled, it is squeezed out using a cotton swab and warm medicated oil is again poured into it. This step is repeated for about 5-6 times. The procedure lasts for about half an hour. After the treatment is over, the oil is removed along with the dough and gentle abhyanga or massage with the same oil is done over the vertebral column for the better absorption of the oil. The patient is advised to take rest for a while.
Prishta Vasti is indicated in the following conditions:-
- Ankylosing spondylitis
- Diseases related to whole spinal cord
- Chronic backache
- Disc prolapse
- Degenerative spine changes
- Compressed discs
- Compressed spinal nerves
Prishta Vasti proves to be beneficial in the following ways:-
- Prishta Vasti helps in relieving musculoskeletal pain and inflammation.
- Strengthens intervertebral disc spaces.
- Improves the range of movements of the spine.
- Helps in relieving muscular spasm.
- Increases the blood circulation
- Strengthens back muscles and connective tissues.
Latest posts by Vaidya Jagjit Singh (see all)
- How to Treat & Prevent Tension Headaches? - January 7, 2019
- Herbal Remedies for Schizophrenia, Ayurvedic Treatment – Causes & Symptoms - January 3, 2019
- ANXIETY - January 2, 2019