Ulcerative colitis is an inflammatory bowel disease which causes inflammation and ulceration of the inner lining of colon and rectum. The inflammation usually begins in the rectum and sigmoid colon and then spreads upwards to the entire colon. It rarely affects the small intestine. It can occur at any age but its onset is most common among people between ages of 15-40. Ulcerative colitis can cause problems such as joint pains, eye irritation, kidney stones, liver disease, osteoporosis, severe bleeding, perforated colon, colon narrowing, severe dehydration, inflammation of the joints, ankylosing spondylitis and an increased risk of colon cancer.
- Autoimmune factors
- Food allergens
- Collagen disorders
- Genetic factors
- Psychological factors like anger and anxiety
- Excessive intake of alcohol and smoking
- Excessive mental activity
- Skipping meals
- Having excessive spicy, sour o stale and infected foods
- Irregular bowel movements
- Blood in the stool
- Vomiting and nausea
- Mouth ulcers
- Bluish or yellowish undigested stool
- Abdominal cramps
- Unexplained fatigue
- Unpleasant odour
- Weight loss
- Lack of appetite
- Sometimes abdominal pain
- Burning sensation in chest and throat
AYURVEDIC VIEW AND TREATMENT ACCORDING TO CHANDIGARH AYURVED CENTRE
In Ayurveda, ulcerative colitis can be compared with Pittaja Grahni. Aggravated pitta damages both rakta dhatu and mansa dhatu, leading to the formation of ama that gets deposited in the villi in the intestines, forming a smooth coating that impairs the normal function and immunity of the intestines. Vata dosha in the lower colon gets aggravated and blocks the pitta and kapha channels, causing inflammation, mucus accumulation and edema.
According to ayurveda, ama and pitta dosha are responsible for causing ulcerative colitis. Consumption of heavy, greasy and cheesy foods leads to the disruption of the digestive fire which leads to indigestion. The undigested food starts to rotten and ferment and this leads to the start of inflammatory process. As a result ulcerative colitis is formed.
Line of treatment for Ulcerative Colitis aims at:-
- Healing the ulcers and restoring the normal functioning of the colon
- Maintaining the overall health of the digestive system
- Eliminating the ama
- Creating a bacterially friendly environment of the body
- Restoring the strength and immunity of the body
Panchakarma therapies like anuvasana and Niruha vasti can be done to detoxify and rejuvenate the digestive system, control the inflammation, rectal bleeding and heal the ulcerations.
Single ayurvedic herbs useful in this case are:-
Ayurvedic formulations that can be prescribed in this disease are:-
- Kutajghan Parpati Vati
- Chitrakadi Vati
- Hingvadi Vati
- Bilwadi churna
- Shankh Bhasma
- Sutshekhar Rasa
- Kutaj Bilwa syrup
DIET AND LIFESTYLE
- Increase use of the cumin seeds, coriander and celery seeds in cooking
- Avoid tea, coffee and alcohol
- Improve eating habits by having food in calm surroundings
- Chew the food completely
- Have 1-2 bananas a day as bananas help to reduce the colon irritation.
- Avoid milk and dairy products
- Avoid spices, sour fruits like lemons, oranges, pineapple, yoghurt, curd, cheese, non vegetarian food and other pitta aggravating food stuffs.
- Eat slightly less than your appetite
- Peel off the skin of few aloe vera leaves. Remove aloe vera gel from inside. Add three tablespoon gel to one glass of lukewarm water. Mix well and drink it once in the morning and once at night.
- Boil 4-5 drumsticks in water. Peel off their skins. Crush them to prepare the paste. Press the paste on a sieve and extract the juice. Take one glass of coconut water and add it to the drumstick juice. Add one teaspoon of honey. Mix well and drink once a day.
- Have a glass of buttermilk with one fourth teaspoon of turmeric powder, a pinch roasted cumin seeds powder and rock salt to taste. Have this twice a day.
- Make a preparation of one fourth teaspoon of nutmeg powder, half teaspoon powdered Indian gooseberry fruit and half teaspoon of celery seeds. Have this at bedtime with water.
- Make a powdered preparation of cloves, cinnamon, green cardamom and asafetida. Have one teaspoon of this powder twice a day with water.
Click Here to consult Vaidya Jagjit Singh
Latest posts by Vaidya Jagjit Singh (see all)
- How to Treat & Prevent Tension Headaches? - January 7, 2019
- Herbal Remedies for Schizophrenia, Ayurvedic Treatment – Causes & Symptoms - January 3, 2019
- ANXIETY - January 2, 2019