Sinusitis is defined as an inflammation or swelling of the tissue lining the sinuses. Normally, sinuses are filled with air, but when sinuses become blocked and filled with fluid, germs grow and cause an infection.
There are four pair of sinuses in the body. Sinusitis can be classified by the sinus cavity which it affects:-
- Maxillary sinusitis – Causes pain and pressure in the cheek region. Patient feels symptoms like toothache and headache.
- Frontal sinusitis – Cause pain and pressure in the region located above the eyes. Patient experiences pain particularly in the forehead.
- Ethmoidal sinusitis – Causes pain in between the eyes, the sides of the upper part of the nose.
- Sphenoidal sinusitis – Cause pain and pressure behind the eyes, mainly at the top of the head, over the mastoid process and at the back of the neck.
- Allergies or infections
- Production of too much mucus
- Swelling in the lining of the sinuses and nose
- Presence of deviated nasal septum
- History of chronic cold
- Change in temperature and air pressure
- Presence of irritants in the air
- Overuse of decongestant nasal sprays
- Genetic causes
- Cystic fibrosis
- Chronic smoking
- Swimming and diving
- Blockage of the Eustachian tube of the ear
- Polyp in the nasal passage
- Headache with dizziness
- Watering from the eyes
- Running nose
- Nasal congestion
- Pressure around head, eyes and face
- Green yellow discharge
- Loss of appetite
- Low grade fever
- Difficulty in breathing
- Foul smell from the mouth
- Pain and tenderness in the upper jaw
- Tenderness over the facial sinuses
- Sore throat
- Cough during night
- Swelling of the face
- Blurred vision
- Dull facial pain that worsens when lying down
AYURVEDIC VIEW AND TREATMENT ACCORDING TO CHANDIGARH AYURVED CENTRE
According to ayurveda, this can be compared with Dushta Pratishyaya. Main dosha involved in this is kapha dosha. Aggravated kapha dosha vitiates prana vayu, present in the respiratory tract. Besides, weak digestion leads to the formation of ama. This ama gets mixed with kapha in the sinus area and leads to the production of sticky mucus called sleshma. Sleshma settles in the area and clogs the channels of the sinuses. Due to restriction and blocking, pitta dosha gets imbalanced and causes inflammation. As a result, immunity gets weakened and body becomes fertile ground for microbes, allergens and viruses, which further causes the problem of sinusitis.
Panchakarma therapies that can be done in sinusitis are:-
- Shiro Abhyanga
Single ayurvedic herbs beneficial in this case are:-
- Black pepper
Ayurvedic formulations useful in this condition are:-
- Taalishadi Churna
- Sitopaladi Churna
- Abhrak Bhasma
- Godanti Bhasma
- Laxmi vilas Rasa
- Tankan Bhasma
- Asheesh surakh
- Kapha ketu Rasa
- Shwasni Avaleha
- Kuka Syrup
DIET AND LIFESTYLE
- Avoid consuming too hot or too cold food items.
- Avoid spending much time in AC rooms and do not sleep directly under the fan.
- Massage with sesame oil on both the sides of the nose.
- Avoid curd, lady finger, tomato and other kapha aggravating food items.
- Eat fibre rich vegetables to keep the bowel system clear.
- Don’t skip or delay meals as it will disturb the digestive fire and case digestive weakness.
- Use regularly cinnamon, black pepper, cumin seeds, mint, onion, basil, garlic, honey, coriander, rock salt, fennel, clove, turmeric, ginger, liquorice etc in your diet.
- Take a clean cloth. Add one teaspoon black cumin seeds. Wrap the cloth and place near the nose and inhale.
- Roast one teaspoon cumin seeds and crush them. Add one tablespoon honey to it and mix well. Consume this every day.
- Add one teaspoon fenugreek seeds in four cups of water. Boil the mixture till the water level reduces to half. Strain the liquid. Drink four cups of this liquid every day. This helps in relieving fever and eliminating toxins.
- Boil one glass of water with 8-10 basil leaves, 8-10 crushed powder of pepper, 15-20 grams of sugar candy, small piece of crushed ginger. Boil this till it reduces to half. Strain the mixture through a sieve and consume this warm two times a day.
Click Here to consult Vaidya Jagjit Singh
Latest posts by Vaidya Jagjit Singh (see all)
- How to Treat & Prevent Tension Headaches? - January 7, 2019
- Herbal Remedies for Schizophrenia, Ayurvedic Treatment – Causes & Symptoms - January 3, 2019
- ANXIETY - January 2, 2019