The inner lining of the uterus is made up of specific cells known as endometrial cells. These cells are shed every month during menses. When these cells do not get evacuated completely and attach themselves to the tissue present outside the uterus, then they are known as endometrial implants. These implants then lead to a debilitating condition called endometriosis characterized commonly by pain and uncontrolled prolonged bleeding. Endometrial implants are commonly found on ovaries and the fallopian tubes but they can also be found on vagina, cervix, urinary bladder, liver, lungs and brain.
Endometriosis affects women in their reproductive years. The most serious complication of endometriosis is infertility, ovarian cancer and adenocarcinoma.
- High levels of estrogen and low level of progesterone during reproductive life
- Hereditary factors
- Loss of immunity
- History of endometriosis in family
- Toxins in the environment leads to imbalance in the hormones
- Unprogressive menstruation
- During menses some amount of endometrial debris get shed from fallopian tube apart from the uterus which causes a retrograde flow in some women. When debris get implanted, it leads to the condition called endometriosis.
- Some endometrial cells which are laid down along the female reproductive tract get dislocated from the uterus and move downwards during 8-10 weeks of embryonic life and subsequently act as stem cells for the pathology.
- Mild to moderate pain on both the sides of the pelvis
- Chronic pain in lower back, rectal area and down the legs
- Painful menstrual cycle
- Painful sexual intercourse
- Infertility or difficulty in conceiving
- Urinary urgency, frequency
- Sometimes pain during micturition
- Heavy menses with small or large clots
- Nausea and vomiting
- Painful bowel movements
- Low blood sugar
- Chronic fatigue
AYURVEDIC VIEW AND TREATMENT ACORDING TO CHANDIGARH AYURVED CENTRE
Most chronic diseases, like endometriosis, are caused due to accumulation of the toxins in the tissues. In the case of endometriosis, chronic toxins accumulation in the reproductive tissue irritates the tissue that results in the slow accumulation of excess tissue.
According to Ayurveda, endometriosis is a kapha disorder by function and pitta roga by location. All three doshas are responsible for causing endometriosis. Vata is the most common dosha responsible for causing gynaecological problems. Vitiated vata dosha displaces the endometrial cells from their actual location in uterus to outside and hence cause painful menstruation. Vitiated pitta cause changes in the hormone levels, blood flow and inflammation in endometrium. Disturbed kapha causes overgrowth of endometrial cells.
Panchakarma therapies that aim at removing the accumulated toxins out of the body in case of endometriosis are:-
- Anuvasana vasti
- Niruha vasti
- Vaman or Virechan
Single herbs that are beneficial in this condition are:-
Ayurvedic medicines that can be prescribed in this disease are:-
- Kanchanar Guggulu
- Trikatu Churna
- Shatavari Churna
- Ashwagandha churna
- Trikatu Tablet
- Trikatu Syrup
DIET AND LIFESTYLE
- Drink pineapple juice to quicken the healing process
- Follow strict timings in respect of meals, waking and sleeping
- Have easy to digest food items.
- Avoid use of bakery products, foods containing excessive salt, red meat, etc.
- Avoid all forms of refined sugar
- Do not eat after sunset.
- Take atleast 8-9 hours sleep.
- Take one glass of warm milk and add two teaspoons of Indian asparagus powder to it. Mix well and drink this two times a day.
- Take four tablespoons of flax seeds. Soak them in one cup of water overnight. Strain and drink this water the next morning.
- Take two tablespoons of Ashoka powder and add in 250 ml of water. Heat this water till half of it remains. Strain the liquid and drink this two times a day.
- Warm the castor oil and soak two cotton swabs in it. Insert one in the navel and other in the vagina before sleeping. This helps in strengthening the uterus.
- Consume five grams of cumin seeds powder with warm water. This is helpful in endometriosis.
Click Here to consult Vaidya Jagjit Singh
Latest posts by Vaidya Jagjit Singh (see all)
- How to Treat & Prevent Tension Headaches? - January 7, 2019
- Herbal Remedies for Schizophrenia, Ayurvedic Treatment – Causes & Symptoms - January 3, 2019
- ANXIETY - January 2, 2019