The other name for dysmenorrhea is Menstrual Cramps or painful periods. Dysmenorrhea usually occurs at the time of menstruation. Dysmenorrhea usually last for 3 days. There are severe cramps in the lower abdomen or pelvis.
Do you know a backache, diarrhoea, and nausea also occur because of dysmenorrhea?
Adding up to your information we would tell you that the other name for Dysmenorrhea in Ayurveda is Udavartani. Udavartani nearly affects 50-60% women. Ayurveda suggests fruitful treatment for Udavartani through herbal medicines and Panchakarma.
Do you know if you are suffering from Dysmenorrhea, which Dosha you lie in? The Dosha which causes Udavartani is Vata.
The Yoni (Uterus) subjugates the pain making the imbalanced Vata turns in the backward direction passing through the uterus.
Firstly, the Yoni pushes the menstrual blood (Rajas) upwards, and then with immense difficulty, the Rajas is discharged.
- Severe pain in lower abdomen
- Loose stools
- Constipation (In rare cases)
- Pain in legs
- Rapid Heart Beats
- Sweating (Due to hormonal change)
- Heavy menstrual bleeding (Clots can be seen getting discharged)
- Painful Breasts or Heaviness
- Light Headedness
- Sharp Pelvic Cramps
- Mood Swings
Causes of Primary Dysmenorrhea
Because of Vyana Vata, there is certainly declining in the nerves of the uterus.
- If there is an increase in the Metabolite, Endoperoxides and Prostaglandins, Dysmenorrhea may occur.
- If there is a divergence in uterine, painful and irregular cramps occur and there is high difficulty in the discharge of blood causing acute cramps in the lower abdomen.
- Due to Kapha, the blood clots face difficulty in the discharge of blood.
- Manasika Karanas (Psychological Factors)
- Do you know if you are feeling mentally upset or feeling depressed, the chances of being the Dysmenorrheic increase?
- Nervous stress due to the change in any factor like environment, emotionally upset.
Causes of Secondary Dysmenorrhea
- Development of Tumors (FIBROIDS) inside the walls of Uterine
- Sexually Transmitted Infection (STI)
- Pelvic Inflammatory Disease (PID) which is caused by the infection of the fallopian tubes.
- Do you know PID can even affect your ovaries and uterus if left untreated?
- Ovarian Cyst
Risk Factors of Dysmenorrhea
The occurrence of Dysmenorrhea increases if you’re in any of the following:-
- Smoking Cigarettes
- Family history
- Pelvic Infection
- Sexually Transmitted Disease (STD)
- Sexual Abuse
- Age younger than 35 years
- Pre Menstrual Signs
- Excess Menstrual Bleeding
Treatment for Dysmenorrhea
For giving relief to the menstrual cramps, Non-Steroidal Anti Inflammatory Drugs are prescribed. Such as:-
- Ibuprofen → Gives relief to the pain
- Aspirin → also used as a painkiller
- In complex cases, steroidal injections are given to give relief to the cramps
- Other painkillers include Diclofenac, Lyser d, and naproxen
Ayurvedic Treatment for Dysmenorrhea
Dysmenorrhea has been efficiently by Ayurveda by prescribing changes in diet and lifestyle. Ayurveda prefers giving oil massage that is extracted from herbs. In order to amplify the flow of menstrual flow, oil massage is preferred to get rid of the hurdles in the passage and make the movement of Vata proper.
Diet and Lifestyle
- Drink plenty of water
- Dark chocolates
- Increase consumption of leafy vegetables
- Take a proper nap for 7-8 hours to reduce stress and relax your body
- Eat food that is warm and cooked
- Drink hot or warm water with the seeds of Ajwain
- Avoid sexual intercourse
- Avoid intake of any contraceptive pills
Raja Pravartini Vati
It is in the form of a tablet. It is specially used to treat Dysmenorrhea (Primary and Secondary). It refreshes the ovulation and enhances the ovarian function. It also stimulates the menstrual flow. It cures Dysmenorrhea, Amenorrhea and backache.
1-2 tablets should be taken once a day.
- Controls excess bleeding
- Reduces cramps
- Improves fertility
- It helps in the removal of toxins from the body.
- It treats Thyroid
- It is effective from uterine problems
- It cures Dysmenorrhea
Two Tablets should be taken thrice a day.
- Liver Cyst
- Skin Disease
Do you know even Panchakarma can free you from Dysmenorrhea?
The mostly implied and efficient therapy include:-
Nabhi Vasti Panchakarma
In Nabhi Vasti Panchakarma therapy, oils extracted from the herbs are instilled in a navel pit.
Oils like Mahanarayana, Brihat Masha Taila are kept in droplet form until the navel pit gets filled. The oils are lukewarm. Without making movements, the patient is prescribed to sleep. The oil is kept for approx 30-50 minutes. The therapy must be done empty stomach.
Extremely beneficial for Vata imbalance, also helps in relieving the following pain:-
- Dysuria (Painful urine)
- Gaseous Distension
- Painful Menses
- Uterine pain
Other problems like:-
- Perfects the function of the urinary bladder
- Treats the problem of gases in colon
- Uterus related problems like Cysts, Dysmenorrhea, and Amenorrhea
Do you know it is also called as “KASHAYA VASTI”? The Niruh Vasti eliminates the unhealthy elements from our body. Asthapana Vasti is another name for Niruh Vasti. Do you know why? Because it enhances lifespan! Its medication involves Oil, Ghee, and milk. It is best implied for the disorder of Vata.
Why Ayurveda Treatments, As Well As Medicines, Are Better?
Ayurveda creates a strong bond between the mind and soul. It dignifies the rhythm of life. Ayurveda has no side effects neither for short term or long term. The prime goal of Ayurveda is to help people live a healthy and a balanced life without the need of drugs or surgeries.
Stop promoting side effects. Live a charismatic and magnificent life. Believe in Ayurveda and surely you will enhance your lifespan and peace!
Click here to consult Vaidya Jagjit Singh
Latest posts by Vaidya Jagjit Singh (see all)
- How to Treat & Prevent Tension Headaches? - January 7, 2019
- Herbal Remedies for Schizophrenia, Ayurvedic Treatment – Causes & Symptoms - January 3, 2019
- ANXIETY - January 2, 2019