Kidney disease refers to an irreversible deterioration in kidney function that develops over a period of time. Chronic renal failure refers to the complete failure of the kidneys to perform their functions.
Kidneys perform the following functions in the body:-
- Regulating fluid balance in the body
- Removing waste products from the body especially the nitrogen and sulphur containing substances as well as the toxic substances that have entered in the body
- Producing and concentrating excreta
The following conditions make an individual more prone to develop this disease:-
- Family history of heritable kidney disease
- High blood pressure
- Autoimmune disease
- Older age
- Any past episode of acute kidney disease
- Acute or chronic health condition
- Prerenal kidney failure can also be caused due to blood loss, dehydration and certain medications
- Blockage in the arteries
- Birth defects of the kidney like polycystic kidney disease
- Due to certain drugs or toxic chemicals
- Auto immune disease such as systemic lupus erythematosus and scleroderma
- Due to reflux nephropathy in which kidneys are damaged by the backward flow of the urine into the kidneys
- Swelling of the legs and face
- Generalized weakness in the body
- Changes in the urination
- Inability to regulate water and electrolyte balances
- Dry skin and generalized itching
- Drowsiness and mental confusion
- Problems occurring while concentrating and thinking
- Feeling of numbness in the hands, feet or other areas
- Muscle cramps
- Frequent hiccups
- Amenorrhoea in females
- Vomiting mainly in the morning
- Shortness of breath
- Loss of appetite
- Heaviness and puffiness around the eyes
AYURVEDIC VIEW AND TREATMENT ACCORDING TO CHANDIGARH AYURVED CENTRE
According to Ayurveda, kidneys are made up of two dhatus Rakta and Meda. Urine formation starts in the intestine itself although filtration takes place in the kidneys. Imbalance in agni or fire element in the body disturbs the process of formation and filtration of urine. Malformed urine leads to accumulation of wastes in the body. This unwanted accumulation is known as ama sanchaya or toxin accumulation in ayurveda. As per ayurveda, vitiated kapha dosha causes kidney failure and vitiated vata dosha causes urine retention or impaired excretion of urine.
Ayurveda explains the cause of the disease as the blockage of the mutravahi srotas in the body. Mutravahi srotas are body channels that carry urine and are responsible for the flow of liquid in and out of the kidneys. When mutravahi srotas get obstructed, the kidneys are denied fluids and results either in shrinkage or in swelling.
Ayurvedic treatment is based on the following three principles:-
- Treating the damaged kidneys
- Treating the body dhatus that make up the kidneys
- Building the body immune system
Single herbs that are beneficial in this case are:-
Ayurvedic formulations recommended in this case are:-
- Punarnavadi kwatha
- Punarnavadi guggulu
- Gokshuradi guggulu
- Chandraprabha vati
- Varunadi kwatha
DIET AND LIFESTYLE
- Take in low protein diet
- Reduce the intake of potassium content in the body.
- Avoid day time sleeping
- Take light dinner, preferably take vegetable soups.
- Avoid intake of excess tea, coffee, sauce, jam and fruit juices.
- Avoid fast food, maida based food, canned, baked, processed, preserved and fermented foods.
- Papaya, khichadi, porridge, diluted buttermilk, vegetable soup are good in case of kidney failure.
- Avoid taking in difficult to digest food stuffs.
- Avoid curd, lentils, dairy products, non vegetarian food, sweets and refined food.
- Cook vegetables with excess of water.
- Hot water fomentation can also be done over the kidney area on the abdomen.
- Avoid taking in cheese, salted cheese or nuts.
- Take few radish leaves and extract its juice. Take one cup of this juice atleast two times a day. Juice of radish leaves is highly beneficial in renal failure.
- Extract the juice of few tulsi leaves and add one teaspoon of honey to it. Take this in morning.
Click Here to consult Vaidya Jagjit Singh
Latest posts by Vaidya Jagjit Singh (see all)
- How to Treat & Prevent Tension Headaches? - January 7, 2019
- Herbal Remedies for Schizophrenia, Ayurvedic Treatment – Causes & Symptoms - January 3, 2019
- ANXIETY - January 2, 2019